Reusing OER developed by TAACCCT grantees and others is one of the major goals of SkillsCommons. TAACCCT grantees and anyone engaged in workforce development can save time, money, and effort by reusing the existing OER in SkillsCommons and in other OER collections available on the web .
To help you find more OER, we, along with Creative Commons, created a “one stop shop” for OER resources on SkillsCommons.
Finding more free and open resources with MERLOT
MERLOT (Multimedia Educational Resources for Learning and Online Teaching at www.merlot.org) is a free and open online library of over 70,000 free and open educational resources, with over 30,000 with a Creative Commons license. MERLOT is administered and led by the California State University, Office of the Chancellor since 1997 and has over 500 higher education institutions represented in the system and campus partners within the MERLOT Consortium. MERLOT’s over 140,000 individual members continue to build the collection, with over 500 faculty, students, librarians, staff, administrators, consultants, healthcare professionals, and content developers joining for free per month.
You can find a wide range of online materials of different types – animations, assessment tools, learning assignments, mobile apps, collections, simulations, tutorials, as well as free and open etextbooks and free and open courseware at www.merlot.org. The YouTube video provides you a walk through the website.
MERLOT-Cal State Resources for Finding and Reusing Existing Free and Open Educational Resources:
- Multimedia Educational Resources for Learning and Online Teaching (MERLOT) has over 27,000 Creative Commons licensed materials.
- Virtual Labs in the California State University: Cal State and MERLOT provide a “teaching commons” for faculty and students to find virtual labs in STEM disciplines. These virtual labs range from OER, free, and fee-based resources.
- MERLOTx is MERLOT’s new student portal, created to help students easily find resources to support their learning goals. It is a FREE, open online collection of almost 70,000 quality online learning resources across a wide range of disciplines. MERLOTx connects you to an open online community of learners and teachers from around the world, with almost 140,000 members.
- Mobile Apps MERLOT is a FREE, open online collection of over 4,000 downloadable mobile apps for iOS (Apple), Android, and Windows smart-phones and tablets that connects you to an open online community of learners and teachers from around the world and IT’S FREE TO JOIN.
- California Open Online Library for Education (www.COOL4Ed.org) is a website focused on free and open textbooks, with over 1,200 free etextbooks with Creative Commons licenses. The website also provides ePortfolios for faculty showcasing how they use open textbooks in their courses as well as showcasing “standard” courses with free and open textbooks related to the courses and faculty reviews of the quality of the etextbooks.
- California State University’s Affordable Learning Solutions portal: Institutional initiative to significantly reduce the cost of course materials for their students with free and open educational resources.
- Previously Recorded OER Webinars from the Innovators in Online Learning Series:
- Defining OER: The WHAT and the WHY – July 19, 2011
- Finding and Using OER: The WHERE and the WHEN – August 17, 2011
- Creating OER: The WHO and the HOW – September 21, 2011
- Funding OER: Sustainability – October 31, 2011
- Using Creative Commons, Open Educational Resources, and Skills Commons to Enhance Grant Success (5/6/2015) [ Webinar ]